Monday, January 30, 2023

Murder Mystery Games

 Why is it that immediately after writing my previous blog post, I discover that a bunch of games have come out recently based on exactly the premises I laid out there? The games in question are:

  • Pentiment: You have to solve a string of murders and scandals that occur in medieval Bavaria.
  • The Case of  the Golden Idol: A murder mystery game in which you have to investigate for yourself, find your own clues, and determine your own suspect.
  • Loretta: You're a 1940s housewife who committed murder, and in a series of flashbacks, you have to decide how you did it and how you're going to cover it up. (coming out this February)
  • Paradise Killer: A murder mystery game where you can accuse anyone, but you'll have to prove your case in a trial. Reminds me of Danganronpa.
Before I saw all these games, I was thinking about how I would make a game on the same premise. The big challenge, in my eyes, is giving the player the freedom to make robust accusations without limiting them to a very small set of options (like Danganronpa) or swamping out the correct options in a sea of useless ones (Portopia). I'm interested to see if or how these games solve these issues, although I don't really have enough time or money to try them all at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment